Au Pair in the USA - Am I eligible? Print

You may be accepted by EurAupair if you:

  • Are mature and responsible
  • Are female, 18 to 26 years of age
  • Enjoy children aged 3 months to 12 years, and have at least 200 hours experience in caring for infants (babysitting, etc.), if providing child care assistance for infants and children under two years of age
  • Enjoy helping children grow and develop, and are willing to enrich the lives of your host family by sharing your culture and traditions
  • Are a conscientious person who is willing to make a one year commitment to experience American culture by living as a member of an American family, and providing up to 45 hours of child care assistance each week
  • Have completed at least the educational equivalent of an American high school diploma (12 years)
  • Are conversant in English
  • Are in good health
  • Are energetic and enthusiastic
  • Are a non-smoker
  • Are a licensed driver.*

* Most American families lead highly mobile lives, driving everywhere. It is extremely rare that a family can accept an au pair who isn't licensed to drive. Consequently, all au pair applicants need a valid driver's license.


And in addition (to the above) to qualify for the EurAupair "Au Pair Par Expérience" program, you must:

  • Be at least 20 years old (but not have turned 27) upon departure
  • Have at least 2 years of full time child care experience, or
  • Be a certificated child care provider or hold a kindergarten or elementary school teaching degree.

 As an Au Pair Par Expérience you will receive

  • Extra pocket money
  • A bonus upon completion of the Program
  • An opportunity to gain valuable experience in your specialized vocation